Welcome to my blissfully happy world
comprised of music, books,
black and white movies, lots and lots of gluten, chocolate, family, love,
and fun-filled shenanigans!!

Friday, May 6, 2011

Don't Stop Believin'

Dear Journey,

You are awesome. Don't Stop Believin' is my most favorite song of all times. I sing it all the time, in the shower, at karaoke, in the streets, in my car, whenever/wherever. It doesn't matter, because it is the best song ever.

I find it fitting that one of the most exciting things to happen to me involves this song. But I'm getting ahead of myself, so let's rewind a few days...

Last week after getting rejection letters 7-9 I was feeling particularly blue. Things were looking up because the following Thursday I had an interview in a tiny little Nebraskan town to teach K-12 vocal/instrumental music. So I was excited about that prospect. Then, out of nowhere, I recieve a call from a high school principal. They just opened up their band position and were making it public via the weekend edition of the Omaha World Herald (PS I got this phone call on a Wednesday). They wanted me to interview!! Talk about your picker-uper. :) I hadn't even applied! Surely this was a good sign! So I gathered my credential files and transcripts and off they went. Woohoo!! So now I had two job interviews on one day. Oh boy, was I excited.

Now comes the exciting part. My first job interview went extremely well. I really liked the high school principal and the middle school principal. The job would be for grades 6-12 band. The community is very supportive of the arts. All in all, I walked away from the interview feeling very good about things. It was about 11:30 in the morning, and on my way I continued to my next interview. My interview was scheduled for 3:30 PM, my time. The town is in a different time zone than Hastings, so I tried to make sure I was in the right place at the right time. My phone didn't switch time, like it usually does, so for a few minutes there I wasn't sure exactly what time it was. About then I recieved a phone call. I panicked, thinking that I was late to my interview and they were calling to make sure I was coming. So I answer the phone all flustered and nervous. It was the principal from my first interview. They wanted to hire me!! You cannot believe how ecstatic I was. :) :) :)  So I went to my second interview all high off endorphins and whatnot. The town was small, and the school very neat. I met a lot of cool people. The main draw for me was the chance to work with all grade levels. But I still had to think about the job offer.

So I journeyed the four hours back to Hastings very excited, and thinking about one of the most important decisions of my life. All in all it was a very long day.

After much thought and discussion with my family and Benjamin, today I called back and accepted the job. :) My contract has been signed, and I officially have a job!!! Yay!! It was an important decision, and I was worried that I was rushing into it. After all, it was my first job offer. However, I realized that this was exactly where I was supposed to be. Things just fell into place, and it always amazes me how God works. The icing on the cake was something that happened during my interview. We went for a tour of the band room and walked through the auditorium. The choir was practicing for their concert that night. We are walking through the aisles and I hear the opening verse to Don't Stop Believin' and I couldn't stop myself from smiling. It was absolutely perfect. One day, when a movie is made about my awesome life, this is going to be one of the best scenes. :)

So, thirteen rejection letters and eight weeks later I have finally found my place. Now I just have to find somewhere to live, move all my junk, and start my journey. I am beyond excited.

Sincerely,
a small town girl

No comments:

Post a Comment