Welcome to my blissfully happy world
comprised of music, books,
black and white movies, lots and lots of gluten, chocolate, family, love,
and fun-filled shenanigans!!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

March Madness

Dear Month from Hell,

Are you trying to kill me??

While I am not an avid sports fan, I've always enjoyed March Madness. I'm a sucker for the underdog. While the tournament this year has been entertaining for me, the rest of my life can quite aptly be called March Madness as well. In the first two weeks we have had three concerts. One for each of the high school bands, and one for the 6-8th grade bands. I conducted at the Symphonic Band Concert (and of course the kids rocked it!!), and also one song for the 8th graders (yet again, they played splendidly). After all these crazy events you would think we'd have time to breathe, WRONG!

Next came our middle school festival. Let me tell you, this has been the most helpful part of student teaching so far. I've made so many copies, organized solo books, numbered each measure of jazz scores/band scores, and listened to the same six solos/duets so many times I can play them by heart. I feel like I've been sucked up by a hurricane or tornado or some sort of swirling crazy storm. I can only hope that I survive when everything is said and done. I forgot to mention the best part, traveling two hours on a bus filled with thirty-four seventh and eighth graders. I am ready for anything now.

So March Madness hit suddenly and left just as quickly. It is now my last week at the high school and middle school and I am quite sad to be leaving. My cooperating teachers were awesome, and I am going to miss their guidance. Plus they are great people to be around, so that made "learning" much more fun. I cannot believe how quickly these first 8 weeks have flown by.

But I'm a fighter, and I survived with flying colors. Just like VCU seeded #11, I fought my way through all the madness. VCU is headed to the Elite Eight and I am headed to face the world of elementary music. Looks like April should be an exciting adventure as well.

Sincerely,
me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment